Drops of Ecstasy

The rains have always got out the poetic side or the writer in me, say a lot of people. For me, the rains have a far deeper meaning and importance. Under the "feel good" emotions are a flurry of reasons for their commencement. The monsoons have always been my best friend, not only because they bring rain or because my birthday falls during the season, but because they bring along an atmosphere that subtly sets my mood to its best. Be it the light drizzle, the petrichor, the thunder, the lightning, the dark grey clouds and later on the clear blue sky when the drops have been shed, or the heavy rainfall thundering onto the ground like bullets, and even the hefty and dense downfall that belittles everyone and everything, I love it all. Unlike a lot of people, I like to watch the rains from afar instead of getting wet. I feel like it helps me look at the bigger picture, like the way a particular drop came and fell onto the ground (instead of a shower that wet me and went its own way. This way, the focus is more on the rains than on me.), diminished into nothingness. I say diminished into nothingness and not reduced to nothingness, because its existence doesn't cease to exist as it touches the ground. Instead, it only gets over with its adventure and decides on contributing to do responsible things. Up until two months back, I had never known the craving for the rains during monsoons, lucky as I was to have lived all my life in a town that was blessed with the best weather all through the year. But then I moved into another city, a city characterised by extreme weather conditions-too hot during summers and too cold during winters and either hot or cold during the rest of the year. Two out of three months of the monsoons had already passed and the maximum I had seen of the rains were five minute drizzles. After the two month long wait, the skies finally decided to fulfill my prayers, and it rained. It couldn't have been on a better day. I had been feeling particularly low, disappointed with myself for not having done all the things that I should have done or I could have done. The sound of pattering raindrops woke me up from my sad sleep and beckoned me towards itself. I got up and out of bed in no time and came to the open area. The breeze swept past me, sending a shiver of joy down my spine. How many days had I waited for this! The raindrops fell on the brick-road before me, sometimes jumping out and creating a splash and sometimes settling into the little holes. The beautiful transcendence of the raindrops from its former self to the wetness on the ground was heart winning! It sent a smile, a genuine one across my face. I grinned like an idiot. Meanwhile, groups of young adults had formed circles in front of me and were playing kikli. They shouted and shrieked as the raindrops wet them. The effortless smiles, the beautiful grins and the child-like laughter looked nothing less than a miracle. It seemed like none of them had ever seen a bad day. Lost in the moment, without the fears and the worries that guide human actions, without the pressure to impress, without the desire to be the best, such a beautiful scene it was! They played random games, absurd games, foolish games, all with a wide grin. Splashing through the accumulated water, tossing each other and running like there's nobody watching. Their smiles set me smiling, their grins warmed my heart, their laughter sent sears of happiness down my spine and the happiness in their hearts almost teleported me to a land called "happiness". The drops of rain are my drops of ecstasy. What are yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To seek or not to seek

Till the end of time

Reminiscences